EXIF Information crash - Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

EXIF Information crash

In PixelNEO

If I go to Picture Info > EXIF Information... the program crashes and I lose all my unsaved work.

Is there a way to prevent it?

Thanks.

@fkapnist it works fine for me. Screenshot attached.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
fkapnist has reacted to this post.
fkapnist
Quote from luishp on November 4, 2022, 6:57 pm

@fkapnist it works fine for me. Screenshot attached.

I get an error message about a dll and then the entire program exists from memory without saving my work. (Using Windows 11)

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Probably the problem arises if you try to read EXIF information when using an image without EXIF information.
I think EXIF data should be used only for photographs.
Unfortuanetely I can't fix the problem.

Regards.

fkapnist has reacted to this post.
fkapnist

Windows 11 22H2 seems to have changed a number of core files, causing errors for some software, both installers and programs themselves, which had no issues on earlier versions of Windows 11 or earlier versions of Windows.

Unfortunately, the only fix is for VisualNEO to figure out a work around to prevent the Microsoft caused error, and release an update.

So it's going to come down to we, the users, reporting in errors, when they happen, and hoping that the errors can be fixed.

That said, crashing on a read fail due to image metadata not being present, should not be happening, as other applications written for older version of Windows, which access that same data, are not having this issue.

For viewing and organizing images, I use ACDSee Pro 7. On my new (one week old) desktop PC running Windows 11 22H2, when looking at images which do not contain IPTC or EXIF metadata, ACDSee works fine. No crashes or errors. So what is PixelNEO doing that provokes a crash from that .dll ?

edit:

In Windows 11 22H2, testing images which are a filetype which can contain EXIF and/or IPTC metadata, viewing an image with no metadata, Picture Info in PixelNEO, causes a crash to desktop, when OK, or Cancel, is clicked on Picture Info, only if the EXIF Information tab is open. In this situation, PixelNEO will  always crash to desktop, with the user32.dll error. If either the General Properties or Comments tab is open when OK, or Cancel, is clicked on, PixelNEO will not crash.

Quote from JeniSkunk on November 27, 2022, 11:16 pm

Windows 11 22H2 seems to have changed a number of core files, causing errors for some software, both installers and programs themselves, which had no issues on earlier versions of Windows 11 or earlier versions of Windows.

Unfortunately, the only fix is for VisualNEO to figure out a work around to prevent the Microsoft caused error, and release an update.

So it's going to come down to we, the users, reporting in errors, when they happen, and hoping that the errors can be fixed.

That said, crashing on a read fail due to image metadata not being present, should not be happening, as other applications written for older version of Windows, which access that same data, are not having this issue.

For viewing and organizing images, I use ACDSee Pro 7. On my new (one week old) desktop PC running Windows 11 22H2, when looking at images which do not contain IPTC or EXIF metadata, ACDSee works fine. No crashes or errors. So what is PixelNEO doing that provokes a crash from that .dll ?

edit:

In Windows 11 22H2, testing images which are a filetype which can contain EXIF and/or IPTC metadata, viewing an image with no metadata, Picture Info in PixelNEO, causes a crash to desktop, when OK, or Cancel, is clicked on Picture Info, only if the EXIF Information tab is open. In this situation, PixelNEO will  always crash to desktop, with the user32.dll error. If either the General Properties or Comments tab is open when OK, or Cancel, is clicked on, PixelNEO will not crash.

The EXIF Information tab also crashes on Windows 10

Open chat
Do you need more info?
Hi, do you have any doubt?