NW.js introduction - Forum

Forum Navigation
VisualNEO Products: Web, Win and PixelNEO
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

NW.js introduction

NW.js is a framework for building desktop applications with web technologies and now with VisualNEO Web. It works by combining a your app with Node.js and Google’s Chromium browser engine into a single desktop program. NW.js applications can be packaged as Stand Alone applications for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

To create your desktop NW.js app with VisualNEO Web just check the apropiate checkbox on Project > Properties > Platform Options > Web and compile as usual. VisualNEO will generate the apropiated code within your app for NW.js compatibility and a new file (package.json) in your target path. This file is a necessary NW.js configuration file.

Download and unzip NW.js from its website and then, on Windows and Linux, copy the compiled files of your app in the same folder of NW.js binaries and then ship them to your users. Make sure nw (or nw.exe) is in the same folder as de generated package.json. Or you can put the files of your compiled app in a folder named package.nw in the same folder as nw (or nw.exe). This last option is recommended

On Mac, put the files of your compiled app into a folder named app.nw in nwjs.app/Contents/Resources/ and done.

Don't forget to add your app icon, name, description, verion etc. in Project > Properties.
Additionally some options from the Project > Properties > Platform Options > Desktop will be used to control the app window on a desktop environment.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

@luishp

thank you

Luishp, Awesome job! Works great on my Win machine... Will be testing on Mac soon.

Thank you.

Good work Luis ! Works like a charm !!!
Thank you !!

Hola @luishp ,

Con este tipo de aplicación de escritorio ¿se podrá tener la posibilidad de grabar archivos en disco local y bases de datos?

Me alegro de este nuevo tipo de aplicaciones. De hecho cuando conocí por primera vez Visualneo, uno de los primeros mensaje que envié a este foro fue sobre la posibilidad de incluir aplicaciones de escritorio node.js.

Con este tipo de aplicación de escritorio ¿se podrá tener la posibilidad de grabar archivos en disco local y bases de datos?

Siii! Permite utilizar Node.js directamente desde el DOM, lo cual significa que es posible desarrollar plugins para VisualNEO Web y NW.js que utilicen Node.js directamente: Archivos locales, bases de datos... y hasta Arduino!
Las posibilidades son enormes.

Yes! It allows us to use Node.js directly from the DOM, which means that it is possible to develop plugins for VisualNEO Web and NW.js that use Node.js directly: Local files, databases ... and even Arduino!
The possibilities are huge.

@gaev @asmat @hpw @palamar @rrey @ronnie @cdy44-2 @farhad2008

To avoid confusion I'm thinking about using diferent command prefixes on plugins:

neoCommand = For every platform
pgCommand = For PhoneGap only (mostly PhoneGap plugins).
nwCommand = For NW.js only (mostly Node.js related code)
pwaCommand = For PWA applications only (probably not necessary bacause PWA wide compatibility)

What do you think?

hi, @luishp

That's fine I agree.

regards

Hi Luis,
Very good idea ! It will be much clearer!
Your brain is a real volcano overflowing with energy and ideas!

@luishp

neoCommand = For every platform
pgCommand = For PhoneGap only (mostly PhoneGap plugins).
nwCommand = For NW.js only (mostly Node.js related code)
pwaCommand = For PWA applications only (probably not necessary bacause PWA wide compatibility)

pgCommand - sounds logical
nwCommand - also logical
pwaCommand - don't know enough about PWA limitations (vs. Web Apps) to provide an informed opinion

Your ability to provide extended features exceeds my ability to deploy them :-)) ... but NW.js raises the question of access control (security) i.e. ...

- how does a user know the difference between a regular (restricted access) Web App and one with NW.js features ?

- is the ability of a NW.js equipped App granted an all-or-nothing access as far as local files are concerned ?

- what other benefits (besides access to local files) do you get with NW.js ?

That is good idea,

@gaevh

pwaCommand - don't know enough about PWA limitations (vs. Web Apps) to provide an informed opinion

There are not limitations vs Web Apps, they are just enhanced Web Apps. Here is an Introduction:
https://blog.bitsrc.io/what-is-a-pwa-and-why-should-you-care-388afb6c0bad

- how does a user know the difference between a regular (restricted access) Web App and one with NW.js features ?

- is the ability of a NW.js equipped App granted an all-or-nothing access as far as local files are concerned ?

- what other benefits (besides access to local files) do you get with NW.js ?

NW.js allows desktop programming using web technologies. It disolves any system access restriction. Apps are deployed as .exe  just as VisualNEO Win. They are not hosted in Internet but run locally. Here is an introduction:
https://medium.com/issuehunt/introducing-nw-js-on-issuehunt-1d645e8a45b7

@asmat, I don't have enough PhoneGap knowledge yet. If you don't matter will ask you when time comes.

Thank you all!

This is another interesting introduction to NW.js. Of course all this will be possible more easily through plugins in VisualNEO Web, but right now it's alredy possible just by using JavaScript:
https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/introduction-to-html5-desktop-apps-with-node-webkit--net-36296

Hello Luis,

Interesting stuff and logical to me (so far I understand all the new Options correctly)

Regards

Hans-Peter

Hi @luishp,

I think day by day the generating of plugin will increased, As we know some of these plugins are not standard or maybe defective.

I think If we have a badge for the plugins it will good and helpful . like ( one star, two star,..., five star).

I think If we have a badge for the plugins it will good and helpful . like ( one star, two star,..., five star).

Good idea! I have just setting up reviews for VisualNEO Win plugins.
I think VisualNEO Web Plugins should be published the same way. Each developer will have his own section as currently @hpw, @as3856 and @gaev have.

Take a look here to see a sample plugins developer section:
https://visualneo.com/shop/as3856/

Sample product with rate system:
https://visualneo.com/product/asaudio

I will need to know who would be interested in having his own plugins section within this site.
Tomorrow will add a new forum post about this.

By the way @asmat, yesterday I sent you an email. Did you get it?

Thank you!

Thank you very much @luishp, now I saw your email.

That was amazing.

The added nwjs feature works great!  I also successfully used the framework commands and such within VisualNEO Web without any difficulty too.

I'm curious, did you consider Electron?  I know Microsoft seems to be favoring Electron for various reasons.  I've used Electron for many years but I find nwjs more reliable to work with as Chrome updates.

Anyways @luishp I saw your post about the plugins area. The new features are a great idea and your sample looks fine as implemented. I would like to submit plugins too.  Feel free to contact me.  I'm excited to see the community and software grow!

thanks!

I'm curious, did you consider Electron?

@darbdenral yes, but it seemed to me NW.js is easier to understand from a VisualNEO Web point of view. Perhaps we can add Electron as an option in the future if there is interest enough.

Anyways @luishp I saw your post about the plugins area. The new features are a great idea and your sample looks fine as implemented. I would like to submit plugins too.  Feel free to contact me.  I'm excited to see the community and software grow!

Great! I will publish very soon instructions about how to get your very own space within this website to host and distribute your plugins. Please keep an eye on this forum and let me know if you have any doubt. Thank you!

@asmat, @darbdenral, please take a look here:
https://visualneo.com/forum/topic/hosting-your-own-plugins-in-visualneo-website

Thank you!

Quote from luishp on March 7, 2020, 1:34 pm

@asmat, @darbdenral, please take a look here:
https://visualneo.com/forum/topic/hosting-your-own-plugins-in-visualneo-website

Thank you!

It looks like you've provided a quality framework to grow going forward for both VisualNeo users and developers .  Thanks for your answers to my questions and your efforts in creating the platform for us all.

Open chat
Do you need more info?
Hi, do you have any doubt?