Quiz Buzzer scripting - Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Quiz Buzzer scripting

We have 10 wireless buzzers.
When pressed, each one uses the following:
Buzzer 1 - when pressed uses the 0
Buzzer 2 - when pressed uses the 1
Buzzer 3 - when pressed uses the 2
Buzzer 4 - when pressed uses the 3
etc..... upto Buzzer 10 -when pressed uses the 9

Looking to someone to script something for us that is a 'fastest buzzer first' option.
In other words, we are looking for something that displays the name of the buzzer that 'pressed first'.
It needs to lock out everyone else, and only show the buzzer that pressed first.

Message for more details and any quotes to do.

@mbpitt

Questions -

1) is this a VisualNEOWin or VisualNEOWeb Application ?

2) please clarify what you mean by "when pressed uses the 0" etc. ... are you referring to "as if the 0 key was pressed" ?

3) is there a web link for 'interface documentation' from the supplier of the buzzers ?

4) are you trying to do something similar to what this vendor (Professional Buzzers for Game Shows and Quizzes • Affordable Buzzers) offers ?

Hi, its a VisualNEOWin.

Each buzzer is linked to a key.

Buzzer 1 uses the '0' key
Buzzer 2 uses the '1' key
Buzzer 3 uses the '2' key

etc, etc, upto Buzzee 10 that uses the '9' key

Yep, they are buzzers from affordable buzzers

@mbpitt

Thank you for the quick response.

I suggest you verify that the buzzer does what the supplier says by ...

1) inserting the 'wireless USB receiver' to a USB port on your PC

2) setp a simple VisualNEOWin publication with a TextEntryBox

3) run the publication

4) make sure the TextEntryBox has focus (use your mouse to click within it; might even type a few characters like qwerty)

5) Press one of the buzzers ... the number corresponding with this buzzer should appear in the TextEntryBox (appended to any existing text already displayed)

6) repeat (5) with another buzzer

If (5) and (6) produce expected results, you are in business (the TextChange event handler can be scripted to do what you need) ... otherwise, I am not sure how it can be diagnosed.

Please post your experience here.

when i press buzzer 1 it say '0'......when i press buzzer 2 it say '1'....etc etc.

Affordable buzzers have software that uses the buzzers and it works well BUT i'm looking for my own NBooks scripting as i want to do more than what their limited software does AND i can design my own GUI

In the affordable buzzers software, when someone presses a buzzer it locks out everyone else and lists who buzzed after......this is the sort of scripting im looking for.

@mbpitt

when i press buzzer 1 it say '0'......when i press buzzer 2 it say '1'....etc etc.

1) The offset (by 1) can be calibrated via scripting ... so not an issue

2) can you confirm that when you press a second/subsequent buzzer, the TextEntryBox content does NOT get cleared each time, but the number gets appended to the existing value ? ... so, in your example, you ended up with 01 after pressing the second buzzer.

Affordable buzzers have software that uses the buzzers and it works well BUT i'm looking for my own NBooks scripting as i want to do more than what their limited software does AND i can design my own GUI

Understood ... I saw a demo of their their software in a couple of YouTube videos, but they did not talk about the mechanics behind how this software got values like total number of buzzers (you may have to enter this number in your publication manually.

Have you talked to anyone at the vendor's place about your intentions, and are they OK with such use of their product ? ... if so, you might ask them for any documentation they might have for third party developers of their hardware.

In the affordable buzzers software, when someone presses a buzzer it locks out everyone else and lists who buzzed after......this is the sort of scripting im looking for.

You can lock out others by doing a DisableObject ... but risk the simulated keyboard inputs ending up in other TextEntryBoxes that becomes the new Focused object.

Also, if you 'lock out other buzzers' (by doing a DisableObject), you can not then get a list of the other Buzzers.

As long as the number from each buzzer is appended to the content of the TextEntryBox (as asked in (2) above, you can parse out the first buzzer number from the others.

When i press a second/subsequent buzzer, the text does not get cleared but the number gets appended to the existing value.

The vendor doesnt have time to change anything in the software..
The vendor has no problem with the buzzers being used in other software programs ..

Tried the DisableObject option but when i do this it 'favours' the last buzzer pressed for whatever reason..

How do i parse out the numbers please

@mbpitt

When I press a second/subsequent buzzer, the text does not get cleared but the number gets appended to the existing value.

Good; this makes it easier to capture first and however many subsequent buzzers.

The vendor doesnt have time to change anything in the software..

I was only looking for some documentation (not changes) ... I guess we will have to hope that documentation is not needed.

The vendor has no problem with the buzzers being used in other software programs ..

Good.

Tried the DisableObject option but when i do this it 'favours' the last buzzer pressed for whatever reason..

When you invoke this command, it prevents any additional input to be added to the TextEntryBox; it does not alter existing content within the box

How do i parse out the numbers please

If you do not wish to share this publicly (on this forum), please provide an email address where I can send you a simple (1 page) publication with buttons and scripts to demonstrate how to set the different states (go, allow-buzzers), extract first and other buzzer numbers.

Question: how long (after buzzer capture is started OR after the first buzzer is captured) before you want to prevent any more buzzer captures ? e.g.

a) you prevent buzzers when you are communicating the question

b) you click on a button (starter's pistol ?)

c) x seconds later, the first buzzer is captured

d) y seconds later, another buzzer is captured

e) some buzzers will never be pressed; so when do you stop accepting buzzers and proceed with extracting the first and remaining buzzer presses ?

Hi all,

Take a look of this:

https://visualneo.com/forum/topic/quiz-multiuser-over-local-network-public-topic

Perhaps inspires nice ideas...

Greetings from Buenos Aires

Open chat
Do you need more info?
Hi, do you have any doubt?