Updating code real time in VisualNEO for windows from external text files, without compiling - Forum

Forum Navigation
VisualNEO Products: Web, Win and PixelNEO
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Updating code real time in VisualNEO for windows from external text files, without compiling

This is probably something that many users do already but I write all my NEO scripts in external text files and allow Neo to read them real time. This means I can leave Neo running without compiling or stopping the system to make changes. I can update my text file and just run, and see the changes as they happen. It really speeds up the coding process!

Let me know if anyone would like to know how to do this. :)

@keithsmall

The title of your post says 'VisualNEO for Windows' ... but it is posted in the 'VisualNEO Web' section of the forum ... not sure which product you are talking about.

Sorry my bad, thought i was in Visual NEO Win (Neobook)

Moved to VisualNEO Win section :)

Quote from KeithSmall on June 8, 2020, 12:38 pm

This is probably something that many users do already but I write all my NEO scripts in external text files and allow Neo to read them real time. This means I can leave Neo running without compiling or stopping the system to make changes. I can update my text file and just run, and see the changes as they happen. It really speeds up the coding process!

Let me know if anyone would like to know how to do this. :)

Hi.

I would like to know how you do that. I find it interesting.

Greetings.

Hi,

Its quite simple really. Follow the stages below:

1. Create a directory where you will keep all of your code text files.
  2. Create a text file in there called something like RERESHDOC.txt (Always leave this document totally empty)
  3. Create a script of code in another text file. Lets say a simple example. (AlertBox "Test" "This is a neo test") and save it as ALERTME.txt
  4. Now in Neobook (NEO Win) add these as embedded files in Neo.
  5. Now create a button in Neo and set its code to the follwing:
    Call "[Embedded]REFRESHDOC.txt"
    Call "[Embedded]ALERTME.txt
  6. When you run Neo and click your button you will see an alert message as planned.
  7. Do not close neo, leave you application running in real time. Make a change to the ALERTME.txt file. Change the code to AlertBox "Test" "This is a LIVE neo test" or whatever you want.
  8. Save your text file and hit your button again. You will see it has changed without closing or stopping Neo.
  9. I have ran over 100k lines in scripts like this.
  10. As long as you always call your text files using both Call Functions. Always the refresh one first.

I hope this is of use to anyone who didn't know you could do this. im sure there are other ways too but this has always worked for me and enables me to keep my application running and see the changes by adjusting my code in the text files rather than stopping neo, editing and compiling again.

Open chat
Do you need more info?
Hi, do you have any doubt?