IMPORTANT: End of development for PhoneGap and PhoneGap Build - Forum

Forum Navigation
VisualNEO Products: Web, Win and PixelNEO
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

IMPORTANT: End of development for PhoneGap and PhoneGap Build

Since PhoneGap beginning in 2008, the market has evolved and Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) now bring the power of native apps to web applications. In the context of these developments today, we are announcing the end of development for PhoneGap and PhoneGap Build and the end of our investment in Apache Cordova. The PhoneGap Build service will be discontinued on October 1, 2020.

More information:
https://blog.phonegap.com/update-for-customers-using-phonegap-and-phonegap-build-cc701c77502c

For VisualNEO Web future proof developments I very much recommend using PWA as the default compiling option for your projects. Please let me know if you have any doubts.

Regards.

Hi @luishp, I can’t speak for all… I’ve tested PhoneGap and it’s simple. But didn’t pursue further until I can find an easier way to fileread/filewrite to device permanently in same folder as app, and not to local storage, or server. In fact, I’ve not use vow for so,e time now.

Perhaps with the trend on PWA, hoping to see some direct file system functionality like those in https://web.dev/read-files/. This way, we can focus on app development and know regardless of which browser used, it’ll still read/write to the same file.

I‘ve completed 99% for 2 apps a few months ago. Sadly, I’ve put the 2 app on hold as I’m not comfortable saving user data to server, which also requires long-termed subscription hosting etc.  If VNW can include file read/write on app folder on device (not localstorage) moving forwards toward PWA trend, that’d at least allow me to ROI my invested time and money on VNW.

How can we upload apps to App Store and PlayStore? Is there any easy and free alternative similar to PhoneGap?

How can we upload apps to App Store and PlayStore? Is there any easy and free alternative similar to PhoneGap?

@fmorales yes, use PWA instead. Just upload your compiled project to your own web hosting and use pwabuilder.com to generate the .apk. It's more easy as the file is signed automatically and you don't need to update the .apk file each time your app is updated. Just upload your project to your web hosting and done. There is a step by step tutorial on the PWA section.

If VNW can include file read/write on app folder on device (not localstorage) moving forwards toward PWA trend, that’d at least allow me to ROI my invested time and money on VNW.

@ronnie there is not an available technology for your requirement yet, mostly due to security reasons.

PWA is the future, sure ! Absolutely no doubt about that !

But I have a (little) regret...unlike PWAs, mobile apps have full access to the built-in features of mobile devices, such as GPS, camera, Bluetooth, contact list, microphone, NFC, accelerometer, and reader....

I understand that they do not support features that are not supported by HTML5, but do you think that in future, things can be changed in VNWeb ? I'll do like it !!!
Regards,

@cdy44-2 please take a look at this website with different web browsers and devices:

https://whatwebcando.today/

Most of the capabilities you mentioned are or will be available for web technologies.
There are even samples with source code you can test and all of them in theory can be added to VisualNEO Web.

Regards.

Thank you Luis,

"...There are even samples with source code you can test and all of them in theory can be added to VisualNEO Web."

Do you plan to do tutos about these possibilities, a real asset for VisualNEO Web ?

Best regards,

Hi,@luishp,

This is very sad news, I do not know why 2020 year is full of sad news like:covide-19, Beirut explosion, PhoneGap expiration...

As I think PWA is good alternative in additionally Apache cordova is also a good alternative for PhoneGap build, because cordova is open source and it has a huge of plugins, documentations and users.

Tonight I have made a sample cordova app. It was be easy.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

@asmat, thank you very much for the information.

@asmat thanks for the information. Do you need to install Android SDK to compile the .apk?
Do you need to do any manual change on VisualNEO Web compiled files?

Thanks!

Quote from luishp on August 13, 2020, 7:32 am

Do you need to install Android SDK to compile the .apk?

yes luishp, we need android sdk, by installing and launching android studio once, it will be installed.

Here all of requirements in details.

Do you need to do any manual change on VisualNEO Web compiled files?

yes, luishp, it is need to be similar to web compilation of VisualNEO Web,

just the config.xml be store beside of compiled folder(I mean the folder its content is index.html and other stuff).

This is the simple tutorial for beginners: video

Open chat
Do you need more info?
Hi, do you have any doubt?